(Stretching starts at 1:24)
Stretching is a great way to improve your mobility and flexibility. This will strengthen your body as a whole and allow for stronger exercises all around. These five exercises take only five minutes and is a nice alternative from the morning coffee grind.
When doing these stretches, it is important to concentrate on your breathing.
- These are good for your hip flexors.
- You want to focus on tightening the glutes, with a straight line from the shoulders to knees.
- Start with aligning your knees and hands on the ground.
- Then hale and arch the back and head. This is the ‘Cat’ Pose
- Next exhale and curl your body up. This is the ‘Cow’ Pose
- Do this for about 10-20 seconds.
- Lower your body down slowly in a circular motion, while raising your arms up.
- Make sure to keep your knees arched over the toes.
- Continue this motion for 10-20 seconds
- Start off by keeping your back straight.
- Then turn towards the right foot with your arms in a perpendicular position.
- While keeping your arms in this position, move down towards the legs.
- You want to try and stretch your chin or chest to your shin.
- Move the arms to the center, then left, then up in a circle movement.
- Reverse the motions and repeat.
- arms out and go down. Want chin or stretch rest down towards chin
Reach to the Sky
- Start by keeping the back straight,
- Then take your arms, palms facing down and stretch down to your toes.
- Then raise them up, flipping the hands so they are palms facing up, till you reach the sky.
- This is a good hamstring and shoulder stretch.
Bonus: Kung fu stretch
- Begin with your finger tips facing each other.
- You want your hands by the hip, with a slight turn to the upper body.
- Take your right arm and make a circular clock motion.
- Then simultaneous take your left arm and follow the right.
- Once your reach the center flip your palms, reach down and repeat.