Getting sick is the worst. Sore throats, runny noses, and fevers are some of the most dreaded things about winter. Thats why It’s always best to prevent any potential sicknesses from ruining your day.
This video shares ways you can keep your immune system strong through a healthy diet.
Joy McCarthy, a holistic nutritionist , gives advice on 5 food categories to keep your body healthy:
- Vitamin D – Recommending a minimum of 1000 IU per day, some common foods for this are; salmon, eggs and sardines.
- Carotenoids – This is a family of vitamins like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, lutein, and lycopene that are good at boosting natural killer cells. Carotenoids are found in foods like kale, sweet potato, or any vegetable that is colorful.
- Probiotics – These are the good bacteria that your body needs and is common in foods like kimchi, miso paste and kefir.
- Zinc – A great influencer for immune cell function, foods like mushrooms, spinach, and asparagus will help keep the immune system strong.
- Selenium – This is good for boosting natural killer cells and mobilizing cancer killing cells. You can find selenium in foods like oats, garlic, lemon and honey.
These helpful tips are another great way to keeping your life in balance.